Janitor

Astra Van

116 posts in this topic

"Shitty flaps and bugger biscuits!" as a good friend of mine recently said...

My beloved van is broken :) Went to start it this morning and the starter locked. Tried to bump start it down the slope and the wheels completely locked too... seems as though the engine has seized :happy:

Not sure why - oil is on the max... but it has been losing tiny amounts of coolant over the last couple years - not enough to be a huge problem, but now perhaps something has finally let go and water has filled a cylinder..? It's only done 206,000 miles too... :(

Off to find out more info on the 1.7DTi Isuzu engine, but nooooooooo! My bus! :(

Will we get a 'What van can I buy for under £2000' thread now? :)

No! I love my bus! :runaround: The chap who does the MOTs always raves about it year on year - it's that good underneath!

It's little heart has just had a seizure :cry:

Oh noooo, that's not good... hope you get it unseized and find your con rods straight!! :runaround:

Ooof, shitty flaps and bugger biscuits indeed :runaround:

One of those weeks, it seems ... hope finding a replacement isn't too painful! :cry:

Nothing worse than a bent con rod.

Maybe it's time to look for a new one? Van that is, not rod!

If the engine was running ok when last shut down it's unlikely to have a bent con rod. The starter motor does not develop enough torque to do that and a bump start attempt is also unlikely to do that damage.

Get the head off and see if it's just a head gasket gone. If so, a little spannering will soon have it back to normal and for £££s less than a replacement bus.