Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FinFerNan

Possibly maybe...

105 posts in this topic

Well, it's been nearly two years...

As usual I have a bit of an SUV itch to scratch. Been out in a Touareg R and a BMW X3 and 5 both 30d M Sport variants. Oddly, despite significant list price differences all are withing spitting distance when it comes to monthly payments. So far the X5 is on top, although a 40d may be better even if it would cost a few quid more.

Had a day out in a Macan........not for me.

Took a look at Land Rover, went to two local dealers but they don't want to play. Although I love the interior of the Evoque, I (sorry Richard) can't get past the generally held view that its a girls car (both salesmen I spoke too smiled that knowing smile when I said that) and it's blooming expensive. I found the Disco Sport to be too basic and the RR Sport remains tantalizing but just out of sensible reach.

Saw a Contract Hire deal on a Porsche Cayenne Platinum Ed, so I called my dealer on Thursday and asked if they'd match it, to my surprise he said yes, so now that's now in the same ball park as the others. I have one sat on my drive right now (extended test drive.......don't get excited) So far I've done 60 or so miles in it, and although it's based on a Touareg, I can confirm that it absolutely does not drive like one. It's more hushed and FAR flatter around the bends.

BUT........ I just can't decide what to do. Keep the Cayman? - it's going to need £1500 spending on it, most of which will effectively be passed on to the next owner (service/brake fluid change/new tyres) The warranty will be up in December, I've had it/loved it for two years, but it seems a good time to let it go.

Do I go SUV? or perhaps a decent estate - I fancy a year round car that suits my purposes and an all wheel drive estate fits the bill.

Don't know what to do.

Cayenne sounds a good shout on a decent deal...

Or go down the quatto estate route ... S4?

But if it really is an SUV itch (which it does seem to be... then I reckon Cayenne would probably be the most special :)

Cayenne and Toe-rag are due for replacement soon I believe, is the new large Skoda SUV out yet?

I really like the RR-Sport but they ain't cheap for sure. When's the new Discovery out, it might be slightly more up market than the Discovery Sport but cheaper than the Sport, bloody confusing range name !!! When I test drove a few large SUV's a few year back the X5 was my favourite , I'd imagine it's even better now. How much is the Maserati Levante :) haha more questions than answers sorry :)

Caymans seem to be holding their price very well, so even if you do have to spend a few quid on the Porsche it is still probably the much cheaper option. Decisions, decisions.

XC90 interior is lovely, no idea if the little 2.0 engine is up to the job though.

Cayenne sounds a good shout on a decent deal...

Or go down the quatto estate route ... S4?

But if it really is an SUV itch (which it does seem to be... then I reckon Cayenne would probably be the most special :)

Good shout on the S4 Paul, it's one of the options I have been pondering over. The thing is, it is certainly quicker and very nice, but no cheaper than the rather well specc'd Cayenne.

What I've found with the Cayman, is you really can't use the speed. So would a nice A4 Avant 3.0d S AWD be a better bet all around? It's a head v heart thing again, the lure of the Porsche brand is very strong. The build/interior etc are outstanding, and performance is strong if not blistering. Also, Porsche service is by far the best I've ever encountered.

Perhaps I should look at a Lexus?

XC90 interior is lovely, no idea if the little 2.0 engine is up to the job though.

Agreed, on paper is seems OK. But again for the same money I can get a Porsche.

Cayenne and Toe-rag are due for replacement soon I believe, is the new large Skoda SUV out yet?

I really like the RR-Sport but they ain't cheap for sure. When's the new Discovery out, it might be slightly more up market than the Discovery Sport but cheaper than the Sport, bloody confusing range name !!! When I test drove a few large SUV's a few year back the X5 was my favourite , I'd imagine it's even better now. How much is the Maserati Levante :) haha more questions than answers sorry :)

Caymans seem to be holding their price very well, so even if you do have to spend a few quid on the Porsche it is still probably the much cheaper option. Decisions, decisions.

Not overly bothered about the imminent replacement, the new ones are due out later in 2017. I'd be miffed if I paid full whack now though.

I have considered an older RR, say a 2012/13 with low miles and a decent warranty. I don't do many miles and they are tempting. The RRS is the one I really want though, at the moment the lease deals are pretty much the same on the 3.0 HSE and the new 2.0 HSE. But everyone is telling me I'd need the HSE Dynamic, and that adds even more dosh!

I don't want to test drive one in case I REALLY love it though. :laughing:

For Sale: Frank N Stein Discovery 1. Well maintained and abused and will cause your neighbours to question your sanity. All of its pathetic speed capability can be used on a Martini basis - anytime, anywhere, any place. Ideal shopping car fitted with 5mm steel "parking sensors" at both ends. :p

I've always like the Twareck but those wheels do look completely lost in the wheel arch. If the deals are right it would be madness not to go for something a bit more peppery.

And you have to drive the RRS; if you don't and then pick a different car you'll always have that nagging doubt: did I pick the right SUV?

I very much understand your "frustration" as it seems a bit familiar (got the "full size SUV bug"). We did swap our TTS and a Tiguan for a Touareg some years back. And I still think the Touareg is one of the best "practical" cars I have ever driven.

But the need for a fun car came back, and you all knows how that went :)

Not easy to give any sensible advices here though. I recon you have had a look at the F-pace which might have been a contender here if you liked it (with the 3.0 tdi)?

We still have the "SUV bug", and will most probably replace the Ford with a medium size SUV. Don't really need a fullsize, and the price for a fullsize vs medium is rather substantial and the newer medium size (like the new Tiguan) has gotten a lot better (and a bit larger) than our last Tiguan was.

It might still take a year or two before it happens though, as the Ford is as "cost effective" as it can be (just passed the MOT this friday without any comments, and all good for another two years), and has so far been problem free. Not very comfortable, but we very seldom use it for any longer trips, so it's kind of hard to find good enough reasons to get rid of it yet. Makes it easy to save up some extra that might come in handy later ;)

It will be very interesting to see what you end up with Fin. Cars are a dash of sense, and loads of "personal feelings" and very seldom any "right or wrongs" ;)

If you decide to test drive a S4 I'd also look at the new AMG C43 4Matic, it ticks a lot of boxes, the GLC43 is also a bit of a beast. There seems to be a new SUV on the market every week, it's difficult to keep up. I've seen a few of the new Ford Edge knocking around, looks pretty good too.