The autoUNITY Moderator Elections
As many of our longer term members will be aware, we like to take a democratic approach to moderator appointment here at autoUNITY, allowing the members to select those whom they feel would do the best job. The time has come again to elect representatives once more, although there will be a few changes.
Since our recent brush with closure a couple of things have become apparent. One is that we recognise we are at present just a small forum with a core of dedicated members, and that whilst we have high hopes these may be unattainable for a multi-marque forum lacking any promotional budget. Bearing that in mind it's become obvious that there is little actual "management" required at present, and that it would be just as easy (perhaps preferable) to discuss important forum related matters with the wider membership instead. Therefore those elected will simply become "moderators" instead, and also the team will drop from 4 to 2 to reflect the general lack of moderation required on a forum frequented by such decent sorts.
Clearly this means that whatever happens at least 2 members of the current team will be retiring after the elections, and we'd like to take this opportunity on behalf of the members to thank everyone on the present team for their efforts and support during their term (which for some has been a considerable time!)
So, down to business. Nominations for moderators are now open, if you feel you have what it takes please throw your name in the hat, an open election amongst the membership will decide who is awarded the posts
There are of course a few basic prerequisites for potential candidates to meet, simply to confirm an identifiable level of commiment and strength of character
- Have been an autoUNITY Member for more than two months
- Have contributed a minimum of 100 posts (this is certainly not to ignore or devalue anyone with less than that number, but we're sure everyone can appreciate the benefit of an identified level of involvement in the Forum thus far)
- Be able to operate within a committee (whilst many decisions and discussions will be put before the wider membership, day to day matters will still be dealt with by the moderators in conjunction with the Admin Team, thus this is an important factor in being able to offer and receive discussion and support a majority outcome)
- Contribute regularly to topics and actively seek content to share with the Forum (despite acknowledging our current position we do still want to ensure the members we have stick around and where possible the forum continues to grow, this is key to our ongoing survival)
- Carry out appropriate Moderation tasks and enforce the Rules of the Forum
- Offer your input and comment to matters affecting the forum being discussed in private with the Admin Team, and in public with the membership as a whole
- Lead by example and also have the ability to maintain discretion / confidentiality on certain matters
If you feel the above criteria applies to you, then the process for putting yourself forward is as follows:
- Have one further careful think about the commitment required ... Moderators have a duty to perform, it's an important role to be taken seriously, it's not intended to be a mark of status
- Ensure your candidacy is valid by meeting the above requirements
- Nominate yourself by sending a PM to The Admin Team indicating your willingness to stand for election to the autoUNITY Management Team
- Seriously consider preparing a short (one para) Election Manifesto to help convince the members why you would make a good Moderator ... PM this to the The Admin Team and we'll include it on the ballot 'paper' for the polling booth.
Existing Management Team members are entitled to stand for re-election as Moderators (though clearly there will be less posts going forward) and the closing date for all candidate entries is 12:00noon, Tuesday 22nd November 2011.
The 'autoUNITY Polling Booth' will then be opened soon afterward for every autoUNITY Member (regardless of time on the forum or post count) to cast two separate votes in support of their Primary and Secondary choices for Moderator (primary and secondary choices will be weighted with 5 or 3 points accordingly).
The poll with close at 12:00noon on Tuesday 29th November 2011 and the results will be announced soon after. The two candidates receiving the most cumulative points will be promoted to Moderator with requisite forum permissions in short order.
Note: In the event that there are no more than two candidates, those who have put themselves forward will be promoted to Moderator by default.
The Admin Team