• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 Lofty

Lofty
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

The last bad winter was 2010 I think. Luckily we had a RAV4 at the time and it was brilliant, even without winter tyres. The only downside was that I had to go shopping for most of the family as they couldn't get out in their cars :)
M3 & MR2

#102 brittan

brittan
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

Fin, did you go for the GAP insurance this time?

I remember you wanted it for the Cayman but were outside the time limit for starting a policy.

TT RS in Ara Blue Black interior with some toysttsig.jpg

Frank N Stein the mean workhorse shed

#103 FinFerNan

FinFerNan
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

Fin, did you go for the GAP insurance this time?

I remember you wanted it for the Cayman but were outside the time limit for starting a policy.

Good point! I'd blooming forgot about that! Any advice?

Current:
2016 Audi A6 Allroad
2015 Suzuki Celerio

#104 FinFerNan

FinFerNan
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

The other comment I would make is that in over 35 years of driving, I can only think of 3 winters where conditions got really bad and they were back in the 1980's (granted I moved south in 86 from Worcestershire), but even then they were extreme winters the likes of which I dont believe have been experienced since.

Most snowfall lasts a couple of days and most of the time the effects on the roads is less than a day, (again I might be south biased), so I am unsure of the viability of winter tyres and as said above, it is not my ability it is everyone else, many of which have never driven or been trained to drive in true winter conditions (and especially those on winter tyres who believe they can stop quicker than in the dry?)

Yep, all pretty much spot on. Although where I live we are a good mile from a main road, so when it snows we might as well be 10 miles away.

My thinking was based on the overall cost over say 4 years. Without setting out all of the maths, a set of 19" alloys and decent winter tyres would set me back £1300. A set of decent 20" tyres are around £800 fitted.

Based on my expected mileage I estimate the winters would last the full 4 years and would save at least one and possibly two sets of Summers.

So not only would they make Winter driving that much safer, they'd effectively either cost me nothing or not a great deal really.

Set against that is the simple question - do I actually need them? And that we won't know, partly due to the weather lottery and partly due to what you and Lofty are saying.

Current:
2016 Audi A6 Allroad
2015 Suzuki Celerio

#105 brittan

brittan
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Good point! I'd blooming forgot about that! Any advice?

I did wonder if my comment might serve as a reminder.  Glad I posted it now.  :)

Advice . . . hmmmm.   I've never taken GAP insurance but if I buy another new car I probably will.  Shop around is the best advice I can give I think. 

There's different levels of cover from Return to Invoice, through Outstanding Finance to Replacement Vehicle so check which one suits your needs.

Audi do it but the salesman's cut makes their prices high however I think they will price match.

Other candidates include ALA.co.uk    Click4gap.co.uk   and  GAPInsurance.co.uk

I've no experience of any of them and there's no doubt many other providers.

GAPInsurance is a sponsor for the TT Forum and did a comparison with Audi's product earlier this year:  http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=1296721 

It would appear that similar policies from different providers can come with very different Ts&Cs.

TT RS in Ara Blue Black interior with some toysttsig.jpg

Frank N Stein the mean workhorse shed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users