115 replies to this topic

#111 MTK

MTK

Manic Post Monkey!!!

• autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

I think I may take this farce play on a, ahem, road show. And then run it in the West End for twenty years.

I'd present it as a musical to the tunes of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang except I don't think Janitor does musicals.
Posted Image
100% bona fide Audi TT mk2: bla bla + s-tronic + steered bi-xenons + MFSW + leather + cruise + roof + petrol etc
I was getting into my car and someone asked, "Can you give me a lift?"
I said, "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go for it."

#112 Janitor

Janitor
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

As comical as this is, it's not far from Audi (and no doubt countless others) actually operate

Incredible really

#113 Janitor

Janitor
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

Actually, whilst my 11 year old bus has been in need of some tlc this last year, it's not cost crazy money and I have really enjoyed tinkering :thumbsup: The satisfaction of a successful operation and the money saved is hugely gratifying

So, I got to thinking whether one could actually equate a monetary value to that..? Or perhaps more to the point, what the trade off between owning something newer and paying for the odd thing to be fixed or even something new with warranty, but which has of course, come at a price... :thumbsup:

There's a sliding scale there somewhere... but it's probably affected by many other aspects (such as make of car, availability of time / skills / tools etc) :rolleyes:

#114 MTK

MTK

Manic Post Monkey!!!

• autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

As comical as this is, it's not far from Audi (and no doubt countless others) actually operate

Incredible really

BTW, thanks for loaning the use of your thread! :lol:

Actually, whilst my 11 year old bus has been in need of some tlc this last year, it's not cost crazy money and I have really enjoyed tinkering :banghead: The satisfaction of a successful operation and the money saved is hugely gratifying

So, I got to thinking whether one could actually equate a monetary value to that..? Or perhaps more to the point, what the trade off between owning something newer and paying for the odd thing to be fixed or even something new with warranty, but which has of course, come at a price... :)

There's a sliding scale there somewhere... but it's probably affected by many other aspects (such as make of car, availability of time / skills / tools etc) :lol:

Well, one doesn't usually buy a new car to save money!

I've only ever had three key drivers to buy new:
1. To get the spec I want (and notwithstanding point 2 below this can usually be closely substituted by buying a loaded/top of the range second-hand version), and
2. To get latest technology/features not available before.
3. Incredible residuals (usually temporarily on new models) - when I bought my TT the young, second-hand mk2s were being sold for such ridiculously high sums that I felt compelled to buy new.

This sort of discussion probably comes down to
A. Whether someone has the time/resource and will/skill to do their own maintenance/repairs, and
B. Whether someone grossly underestimates the actual cost of depreciation (usually a massive hit) whilst possibly over-estimating the relative cost of maintenance/repairs.
Posted Image
100% bona fide Audi TT mk2: bla bla + s-tronic + steered bi-xenons + MFSW + leather + cruise + roof + petrol etc
I was getting into my car and someone asked, "Can you give me a lift?"
I said, "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go for it."

#115 Janitor

Janitor
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Yep, that's an interestingly valid perspective :banghead:

#116 AlfaBliss

AlfaBliss
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

I was double-checking every white astra van I passed when I was in Oke yesterday - none of 'em were Janners :banghead: - oh well

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users