• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sTTu

sTTu
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

Got the Focus in for a service today.

You may have read that the battery died last week but I bought a charger and brought it back to life.

I'm convinced the battery is fine. Car dash showed a consistent charge all week.

Mrs sTTu mentioned the battery was flat to the garage and they said they'd check how it performed when cold. It apparently started the car twice but on the third time, it didn't. Good enough to pass the MOT, but showing signs of age, perhaps.

I'm thinking that with the charger I could get another year out of it. Or am I just playing Russian roulette with the car starting?

aUSigsTTu.pngAUlegacyBanner3_zpsa834bc1f.jpg

#2 Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

If its any help mate - the wife's Scirocco had a similar issue around a year ago.

Its low miles (mainly used locally so many short journeys not helping) and we owned since new but the battery only lasted 4 years (from new).

We replaced it before it was totally knackered but the engine was slow to turn and dash lights were dim - in to the garage and they verified it was the battery.

Been fine since.

Would say get a new battery.

2016 Audi RS3 floret silver

#3 Arne

Arne
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

If its any help mate - the wife's Scirocco had a similar issue around a year ago.

Its low miles (mainly used locally so many short journeys not helping) and we owned since new but the battery only lasted 4 years (from new).

We replaced it before it was totally knackered but the engine was slow to turn and dash lights were dim - in to the garage and they verified it was the battery.
Been fine since.

Would say get a new battery.

+1.

I also think that is wise, as anything else seems to be, as you say, playing Russian roulette with the car starting. You might be Lucky, but you probabely won't.... :p

F-Type R 2015

#4 sTTu

sTTu
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

Damn! I'm going to get some ear-ache for this if it goes. When you mentioned the lights dimming, I thought, yup, got that.

Thanks for your replies.

#5 TommyTippee

TommyTippee
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

Defo new battery

minds are like parachutes...................they only work when they're open Golf R white nav doesn't need anything else else

#6 Lofty

Lofty
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

Not worth the faff on for the sake of the cost of new battery, it will only get worse as the weather gets colder. If you haven't already got one have a look on eurocarparts site, they usually do a good range of Bosch.
M3 & MR2

#7 sTTu

sTTu
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'd already looked at the price of a Bosch battery and knew it could be had for less than they were quoting. But I don't think Mrs sTTu trusted that I could fit a car battery myself. So I got them to fit one at much greater expense.

On the plus side, after the full service, MOT and new battery, (which probably cost more than the car is worth), it starts like a new car.

But I do still like the car and it is old enough that I can leave it anywhere without worrying about it. A bit like Finner's under the radar car.

#8 Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

Nice one mate a day least you now know money on a new battery was well spent if the car starts a treat now.
2016 Audi RS3 floret silver

#9 FinFerNan

FinFerNan
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

.... A bit like Finner's under the radar car.

But mines got a new battery :laughing: 

Current:
2016 Audi A6 Allroad
2015 Suzuki Celerio

#10 sTTu

sTTu
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

But mines got a new battery :laughing:

Mine has one too, now.  :narnar: