4 replies to this topic

#1 brittan

brittan
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

For anyone who may be interested:

The last two Lancaster bombers still flying in the world will come together in a series of events this summer, in a meeting unlikely to happen ever again.

The Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (RAF BBMF) based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire will welcome the arrival of a very special guest during August 2014 when the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM) fly their prized Avro Lancaster to the UK for a month long visit.

http://www.raf.mod.u...ngland-24022014

TT RS in Ara Blue Black interior with some toysttsig.jpg

Frank N Stein the mean workhorse shed

#2 TommyTippee

TommyTippee
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

That should be an interesting watch

minds are like parachutes...................they only work when they're open Golf R white nav doesn't need anything else else

#3 mighTy Tee

mighTy Tee

Throatwobbler Mangrove

• autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars and Slow Boats

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

I hope they will be doing a show down in the Solent.

Our house backs onto an ex-military airfield (HMS Daedalus) and we regularly get to see vintage aircraft flying over or landing.

Back in 2000, there was a show called "Sea Wings 2000" with sea planes landing in Southampton Water. On the Saturday morning the airfield suddenly cam alive with fire trucks etc. Later we witnessed the arrival of many of the sea planes, but best of all 1 Hurricane and 13 Spitfires all of which were based here for the weekend.

A couple of years back we were going out and heard the unmistakable sound of Roll Royce Merlin engines.  A quick of the sky revealed the Lancaster coming in to do a (unscheduled) fly-past display which included right over our house at around 250ft.

I wish they still did the annual Daedalus Air Show but they finished before we moved in. 

mighTy Tee - aka Richard

quaTTro Sport - Mauritius Blue/Phantom Black

Posted Image

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

#4 NumberSix

NumberSix

forum admin

• admin team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,112 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

That sounds ace, always loved the Lancaster ... had a lovely framed picture on my wall as a kid (as well as the supercar and hot betty posters ;) ), and made a few Airfix models in my time too - had a Lancaster flanked by a brace of Spitfires hanging from my teenage bedroom roof at one point (was plane daft as a kid, now I'm just plain daft!) ... looking forward to getting into all that with the boys as they get older.

We've been to the RAF Leuchars Airshow a few times, though I believe the last ever one was this year ... and have seen some glorious machines in the air, including a Lancaster and the Vulcan.

Would have enjoyed this but alas I think the boys are too young to appreciate it and it's a bit of a schlep for a jolly ... I expect pics though!! :)

BMW F31 330d xDrive M Sport Touring Estoril Blue Black Dakota Leather Business Media Package Adaptive M Sport suspension (new arrival)

#5 TommyTippee

TommyTippee
  • autoUNITY Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Can't beat the sound of a Merlin or four

minds are like parachutes...................they only work when they're open Golf R white nav doesn't need anything else else

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users